Editor’s note: As of 2018, Hangar 18 is closed.
1156 Kauffman Ave.
Fairborn, OH 45324
What was formerly one of the locations of the “Cadillac Jack’s” sports bar chain in Dayton morphed last year to be a spot that caters more to the Fairborn neighborhood. Now, that spot is Hangar 18 on Kauffman Ave., and it offers the same basic premise of pub grub but at a more economical rate, and with plenty of other reasons to visit this little bar and game room concept. Sandwiched between Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and Wright State University, this bar has a ton of sports fans from a lot of different places to draw through its doors. Hence the full name: “Hangar 18 Drinking Joint & Hangout.”
The bar has a pretty short and sweet menu: it’s all pub grub, and those favorites are pretty good. Here’s a rundown of the highlights:
- BBQ Bacon Cheddar Burger: True to sports bar fashion, this burger comes in a mega-sized half pound, topped with cheese, bacon and a sweet barbecue sauce. The burger is cooked well done by default, and what really makes it is a slight char on the outsides that gives it a bit of a crunch.
- Boneless Wings: The wings come in a few flavors, I tried the “hot” sauce which is — as spicy foods go — actually pretty reasonable, served with a little ranch to make it shine. I also tried the honey barbecue, which has an interesting combo of sweet barbecue sauce and honey mustard, and it’s a decent dish.
- Quesadilla: Loaded with meat and cheese and then grilled to a crisp golden brown, this Quesadilla is massive, so make sure you’re fit to take it home for another meal.
- Chili: The chili is an extra meaty take on home-style stuff, loaded with just a few beans and a very savory blend of spices, it’s worth a sample. Especially if you like a little bit of spicy.
The service in the restaurant is good, though in peak times it can tend to lag a little, but not to a problematic extent. The price points in Hangar 18 are reasonable, and indeed the spot was toned down a little bit from the pricier concept of Cadillac Jack’s for that very reason. But the food, while distinct, has the same very safe and approachable feel to it that’s hard to resist. As do the pool tables, dart boards, and many televisions that let you keep tabs on all the sports of the world. All told though, this spot will provide you a good experience.
- The bar has a game room where lots of people can gather to play pool or darts. Also, the TVs show off a lot of games.
- The menu is short and sweet. Recommend the burgers and wings as starters.
- Also, pay attention to happy hour specials and discounts certain nights. The already cheap prices go lower.