793 N High St.
Columbus, OH 43215
The Short North has a ton of great dinner spots, but Hubbard Grille is a favorite just in the variety of what it serves. Built in a former auto showroom that keeps some of that wonderful historic charm, Hubbard Grille’s enormous red sign is unmistakable on High Street, but it’s also got a menu of surf and turf that’s perfectly delectable for a date, or a gathering of friends, or a dinner. But this spot is a memorable one, and definitely worth a trip.
The menu’s centerpieces are good cuts of meat, steaks, lamb chops, seafood and the best grilled things.
- Knife & Fork Burger: This monster is huge! A ground chuck patty topped with giant chewy pieces of braised short rib and topped with Amish white cheddar, Cousins Utility Sauce and a cabbage slaw. It’s just too good. Scarfing this one down is a joy.
- Korean Barbecued Lamb Chops: Expertly seared lamb chops with a sweet bulgogi-based sauce and served atop a bed of basmati rice and grilled green beans. A sesame chili sauce adds a little warmth on the side. These chops fall off the bone but aren’t too soft.
- Salmon: When the salmon is cooked plain and easy, it’s fall-apart good but with just a few herbs that really add to the stuff. I love it.
- Brussels Sprouts: Grilled and crispy on the sides but soft and crunchy inside. There’s a wine reduction that coats these that really knock them out of the park.
- Old Fashioned: The classic. Knob Creek Rye, vanilla & spice infused simple syrup, chocolate bitters; served over ice
- Blood Orange Margarita: Camerena Reposado, blood orange simple syrup, lime juice and a smokey salt rim. The blood orange pulls a bit more sweetness and more citrus into the cocktail but it’s pretty good for that addition.
The bar has a very modern, cool feel that is ideal for groups. There’s a huge upstairs area for reserved areas and definitely lots of people tend to come here for dates and events, so there’s an appeal to that. The price points aren’t too bad for a date night spot and you definitely have a sense that you get your money’s worth with the ambiance. Each item on the menu has a lot of subtle complexity, often in seasonings, and a perfect cook to the cuts of meat.
Short North has so many good places to try. And a lot of names are coming and going. Those with staying power, really, deserve to be there. Hubbard Grille is a favorite and worth a visit.
- Perfect date night, reservations definitely recommended.
- Consider a cocktail, those are definitely important to enjoy, especially the list of house cocktails.
- Steaks and chops are the best things on the menu.