8453 Sancus Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43240
While much of Columbus’ suburban bar scene has seen change and modernization to keep up with the new kids on the block, everyone has evolved in different ways and that’s a good thing. Average Joe’s, a sports pub with about half a dozen locations in the northern suburbs, has focused on a few things to make it stand out. In this case, it’s a bar that emphasizes good burgers, a wide selection of beer with a preference for local, and spacious, comfortable bars where you can watch a game in comfort and without the overwhelming crowd. And that’s really quite nice.
The food menu is relatively short and focused on sandwiches. Some of the things I like:
- BBQ Bacon & Cheddar Burger: An enormous burger served up with two stacked beef patties, each cooked well done and smothered with cheese before being summarily topped with a wonderful burger sauce and big pickle slices for a little extra saltiness. Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce drips out of the thing.
- Turkey and Bacon Club: A pretty simple take on the always-loved club sandwich, this one more like something you’d make at home–if you were crazy enough. A mound of turkey and bacon, lettuce tomato and mayo all atop white or wheat bread. Served with your choice of side, but let’s be honest, you’re going to want to smash this with fries.
- Tater tots: Order a few and you get a ton. Extra crispy on the outside and no less satisfying.
The bar favors the Columbus suburbs, and in most cases it intentionally makes itself different from the higher-priced gastropubs and hoyty-toyty bars with their intensity. This is a classic, American-as-hell sports bar where what you see is what you get. And if you like the good varieties of beer, then this is going to be a place that works for you, too.
Straight to the point. That’s the best way to describe the place, from the over-sized patio to the huge number of sports screens to the endless stream of locals streaming in looking for a chance to enjoy some brews and some games. The trends for sports bars keep changing and evolving, and it’s nice to find a place that finds a place and just sticks with it, nothing too complicated.
- The burgers are the best food on the menu if you’re looking for something like them.
- Consider the beer menu, which has a good variety of things and rotates pretty regularly.
- Check the happy hour offers. Some really good deals here for discounts on drinks and food.