14 Station St.
Athens, OH 45701
websiteAthens, Ohio is such an interesting place – and there’s just no comparison to it. The many, many college bars here tend to get the most attention, but the fact remains that this town really suffers from a lack of wine places and lower-key dives for those with a higher taste in town – both the “townies” and the grad students, professors and other OU hangers-on have really needed a place to call their own. So it is with Athens Uncorked. This is a comfortable place to grab a glass of wine and, if you like, a small bite to eat. That atmosphere is just splendid.
On the by and large, the attraction about the bar is the great samplings of wine you can try here, and the peaceful setting where you can do it. The quiet couches, the nice patio, the upstairs balcony, all of this makes for something that’s very low-key. Things I liked:
- Charcuterie: Chopped veggies and a variety of dips, cheese plates and meat plates. These kinds of things are best in the variety, half a dozen different finger foods to try. Obviously, best in a group.
- Hummus and pita: The hummus is ground and creamy and, for a little bit of flair, topped with some smoked paprika to give it some depth. Served with slices of pita bread that are good, but of course hummus is always good by itself, too.
- Brownies: Little teacup brownies topped with a wonderful fudge that adds some dimension to it. As desserts go, the brownie cake is sweet enough but the extra fudge is such a sweet bonus.
Uncorked offers that nice, peaceful feel of a bar that is rare in Athens – it’s neither collegey nor divey. It’s something else, a bit more sophisticated. The target audience is that crowd that includes maybe some higher end thinkers, people who are OU graduates but still work in the city. This crowd hasn’t had many options in town until now. So it’s just so great to see this one come to success.
There’s a really nice, personable staff here too, folks here like to socialize and interact when there’s a smaller crowd, especially in the summer or on the weeknights. That’s a great sign of the folks who really care about the business. It’s peaceful and it’s high time Athens had a place like this.
- There’s a menu of nicer beers and wine here, and the menu is light. This bar is good for a date or a friendly, intimate evening. Unique in this city.
- Often there is live music on the menu too, check for the menu on that one.
- Also, think about this as a good place to host events in town.