229 Civic Center Drive
Columbus, OH 43215
Probably one of the nicest views you can get while dining in Columbus comes in the stout little building along riverfront at the Scioto Mile. Surprise! A restaurant is there, and a pretty good one at that. A hang-out spot for the many offices nearby during the day, and a watering hole for the growing downtown population at night, you’d be remiss to lose out on the chance to experience Milestone 229 while dining in downtown. It’s a larger experience very worth having.
The food is delicious. Some of the things here that I really liked:
- Roasted Turkey Club: Bacon, turkey, smoked balsamic onions and arugula smothered with an apple butter for good measure. Toasted for good measure. This sandwich is a masterpiece; the thick salty meats and the sweet butter are counterpoints, but crispy onions and greens tie them together and it’s a perfect combination.
- Fries: Come in three basic varieties: A regular, a sweet potato and a mouth-puckering salt and vinegar variety, one which I very much recommend.
- Roasted Mushroom Pizza: Piled high in mushrooms, onions and savory cheese. The crust is the star of the show, not too think and not too thin. This one definitely feels like a classy pizza and that’s the appeal.
- Cherry Tomato Caprese Pizza: A simpler flatbread topped with olive oil, mozzarella, basil pesto, and a simple balsamic-based drizzle. Simpler flavors shine through on this beautiful pie, but there isn’t too much cheese which makes it a worthy shared item.
- Four Snacks: A great foursome: Bacon-wrapped dates with a smokey finish, salty pickle slices, crunchy walnuts and a creamy pimento cheese with crackers for dipping.
- Pretzels: Huge, overwhelming pretzel sticks with a thick beer cheese. Probably one of the favorite things people get here. Highly recommended as a starter, best when shared among two to three.
The restaurant features beautiful riverfront views of the Scioto River and downtown, and that’s definitely a plus when you think about it as a place for a date or a business lunch. There’s an extensive patio, which makes it popular for the downtown crowd during the day and into the evening as well. The price points are a bit higher than normal as a result, but it’s nothing unreasonable to be sure.
I’ve never had something here I didn’t like. At lunch and at dinner, it’s a full house here but well worth the time and wait. All in all I highly recommend Milestone 229, it’s got to be one of the better lunch options in downtown Columbus.
- Reservations are highly recommended, given how much people like coming here to eat.
- This is a good place to enjoy a long meal, don’t forget about the appetizers and pay attention to the great cocktail menu.
- I like the lunch menu, so it’s a cheaper place to start trying the food.