401 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33132
While it’s actually an Italian chain of Gelato shops, 4D Gelateria has expanded around the world thanks in big part to franchising, and now it’s most active in Latin America with dozens of locations and a few more that have popped up in the southern United State, Middle East, and Europe as well. It totes a quality of ingredients that set it above local competitors, no artificial colorings or additives and an “obsession over quality.” You’ll typically find these shops in high-traffic mall areas where you can take the gelato and walk with it to see the many sights.
There’s a sturdy menu of gelato and sorbet flavors, most are pretty simple but the idea here is to go for quality over gimmicks. What’s good:
- Chocolate: A pure and wonderful chocolate flavor, with that soft and creamy consistency. Will make you forget you’re eating gelato and not a heavier ice cream.
- Tiramisu: One overarching flavor with a hint of chocolate, a hint of coffee and a lot of sweetness there. Good if you’ve got a serious sweet tooth, otherwise can be overwhelming.
- Hazelnut: Probably my favorite flavor for its subtle touch. Lightly nutty but not relying on too much sugar to get it there. Thick and creamy without making you feel heavy at the end of it.
- Raspberry: One of the lighter sorbet options but still with a bright, fruity flavor that also doesn’t rely too much on sugar to make it delightful. Great for that lighter take on dessert.
- Oreo: A good one if you like the classic cookies and cream flavor! Creamy and sweet though the crunch of the cookie is reduced a little bit.
The shops are made to take gelato and walk, and in most of the locations, the warm climate ensures there are plenty of people to come by over the course of the year. All that said, this would make a pleasant impulse buy.
Gelato is a nice alternative to heavier and more sugary ice cream, and for that reason it has gained in popularity. With its franchising strategy, it’s not crazy to think of 4D spreading further around the world. It’s a good option to try this wonderful dish.
- Give a taste to the options on the menu before you buy; some are sweeter than others.
- You can get two flavors in even the smallest size of cup, which is nice.
- Shakes and smoothies are also on the menu.