370 Old Stage Rd.
Waynesville, OH 45068
A charming pink house in Southwest Ohio’s quaint Waynesville, Remember When is a gateway to a bygone era, evoking the very friendly and all too uncommon art of the afternoon tea. Literally run out of the house of its owners, you will find every dish made by hand and every item a but of a personal touch. Once you understand how the place works you will find it a very pleasant place to try.
The big thing to understand is this is a labor of love; its a part time business and the hosts are inviting you to their home. So not quite the same as a typical restaurant. It’s reservation only and you sign up for Friday or Saturday seatings by phone or email a few days in advance (They typically don’t answer, but are pretty good at calling back.) You then order one kind of tea and are served that way. A preview of the full tea:
- Cheese ball and crackers: Served with crackers, tiny but sturdy and dusted with spices. In this case a red pepper and onion. Whets the appetite well.
- Vegetable cream soup: A small soup heavy with butter and cream featuring a lot of veggies. Tasty! But very buttery.
- Salad: This mix has a nice fruity vinaigrette, strawberries, blueberries, goat cheese and a nice light mix of nuts. Another great beginner.
- Sandwiches: One a chicken salad croissant, another one of those cucumber sandwiches so popular with afternoon tea. Another with turkey and just a bit of cream cheese really delight.
- Blueberry scones: Soft and not crunchy. Not too sweet which makes it perfect! I love the cinnamon butter and cream mixture that comes with it!
- Desserts: Lemon squares, a white chocolate dipped cake and a peanut butter mousse all make for nice treats to finish off the meal.
The service is wonderful. Again you see the benefit of the labor of love as the family talks you through their recipes and how they came to open this little business. That’s genuinely wonderful. I like how the place is set up to be an experience you enjoy over time.
All told a very wonderful experience. Genuinely unique.
- Make sure you make reservations a few days in advance; call or post a message to the Website.
- They can accommodate vegan and other dietary restrictions with preparation time.
- This is a good place for small groups.