601 West 27th Street
New York, NY 10001
There are 26 locations of La Colombe Coffee Roasters, but the Philadelphia-based chain has concentrated on the East Coast, with most locations in New York City. Often innocuous — one location is built into an old warehouse near Hudson Yards that looks almost indistinguishable from the outside. But it’s a perfect little dive to grab a cup of coffee with a friend or two and enjoy some pleasant Conversation. Unusually spacious for a coffee shop in New York City, this place has an extra allure in that they roast their own coffee here and serve it with a small menu of baked goods and other things. Easy to overlook, hard to forget.
The real charm here is in those great coffee drinks. A bit pricier yes, but that’s to be expected this close to the Chelsea neighborhood and other up and coming areas of New York City. Some great things I have tried:
- Chai Latte: just a bit of a kick to this fantastic drink, Chai tends to be spicy and large concentrations but here is a pretty good representation without being too much. And especially good if you have a cookie or something crunchy to go with it.
- Mocha: unusually chocolaty and yet not so sweet that it overwhelms the senses. This drink is perfect if you want something a little bit on the deeper in flavor wise but don’t want a bunch of sugar to slow you down in the afternoon.
- Biscotti: Always a good option with your coffee. There are a few different varieties available here, one of my favorite is a pretty simple recipe with a little bit of cinnamon to give it some character. Another good option has raisins. The key here is that each is very crunchy and not too sweet, which is perfect when we’re talking about coffee often with cream and sugar.
The coffee shop is well known and loved along the East Coast. After more than 20 years in business, the shop has continued to grow and attract more attention, carefully sourcing coffee beans from different places around the world and always careful to offer plenty for the organic and diet-conscious.
A great coffee shop, and very nice to see what a mission they have made of caring about where they’re getting things. Worth a sip.
- There are a lot of organic coffee options in the menu here, so be sure to keep the place in mind if you want them to care where they source their coffee.
- Lots of baked and sweet goods too if you like those with your food.
- The drinks here are great if you don’t want something overwhelmingly sweet.