New York New York Casino, 3790 S Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89109
A much beloved chain started in 2002 in New York City, Shake Shack is all the rage in town which has prompted a fast expansion out of the East Coast and into more cities all over the country. With that fast growth, Shake Shack has become a trendy stop for many a curious eater. Probably the most prominent of the “better burger” concepts that has blossomed around the U.S. in recent years, the ‘Shack has an easy demeanor and a simple menu of burgers and shakes that have worked the name up into a national darling. Is the food worth the hype? I thought so.
The key to the menu is a healthy love of burgers and milkshakes. About the simplest thing to like, right? Some of the things I tried:
- ShackBurger: The classic burger has a mix of ingredients, but the core of the patty is “100% fresh ground Angus beef.” The basic burger is then topped with lettuce, tomato and “shack sauce,” a creation something like a thousand island-style dressing which adds character. The meat is seared outside and cooked to a medium consistency inside. The end result is a juicy, very attractive burger (or two, if you order a double.)
- SmokeShack: A twist on the average burger, instead topped with smoked bacon and cherry peppers as well as that wonderful shake sauce. The burger has a noticeable smokiness, a slight heat, and overall it’s just splendid.
- Fries: The freshness is key to these crinkle-cut fries. They’re crisp and crunchy on the outside, almost melted on the inside so they have a distinct snap.
- Korean Fried Chicken: Crispy but could be spicier. Bring on that gochujang!
- Frozen Custard: If you’re not in the mood for a shake, the custard is a good substitute. Not too sweet, but very thick, and if you order with with chocolate chips, you’ll be greeted with a chunky cool end to your meal. Not overwhelming, pretty good!
The restaurant concept embodies fast-casual, you order in a line and then find a table, and a pager system lets you know when to come to the counter to pick up your food, fresh from the grill. Which is nice because it ensures your food is hot when it comes to you, though it might take a bit for the wait. The price points on the food are high-normal, but as any fan will attest the quality is there to back this place up.
Juicy burgers, chocolatey milkshakes and piping hot sides. What’s not to like? Shake Shack is a darling in the restaurant world, with its IPO having drawn so much hype. But it’s worth a bite, and it just takes one burger to get you hooked.
- The ShackBurger is a good place to start, naturally it’s going to be the simplest. If you’re very hungry go for a double (but that can be overwhelming.)
- The sides are best when shared among two people.
- This is limited to airport locations, but there are burgers and breakfast dishes too.