5515 Airway Rd.
Dayton, OH 45431
While it’s only been open a little over a year, Song’s Sushi along Airway Road east of Dayton has already drawn considerable praise as an under-appreciated new gem in the city. With a captive audience in nearby Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the dive serves up Korean and Japanese food — and fast, to keep up with those tight lunch break routines. The rapid-fire service might lead you to think this is a no-frills place, but in reality, it’s great food served from a tight ship. This kind of efficiency is sure to impress by itself, but the food backs it up.
Two things dominate the menu here; a mixture of sushi rolls and Bento Boxes — lunches with lots of items served in small portions. Some of the things to try:
- Kalbi Box Lunch: Kalbi, or Korean barbecued beef short ribs, are the capstone of this box lunch, and as short ribs go, they’re great. Tender meat, seasoned liberally with onions and spices, and just a bit chewy at the bone. Then served with a salad, rice, noodles, a dumpling and some simple sushi for accent. Filling by the end of it, but lacking nothing in style.
- Dolsot Bibimbap: The very popular Korean dish is served sizzling in an iron bowl and with as much of that wonderful spicy gochujang, or spicy red sauce. Break the egg on top fast before it cooks! All the veggies and rice make for a very filling meal.
- Playgirl Roll: Resembling the popular rainbow roll, this sushi is filled with shrimp tempura and then topped with tuna and avocado. The result is a filling sushi roll low on the fatty stuff. Pretty good.
- Playboy Roll: Very similar to the above, with different fish and a spicier tinge. Great!
The service is lightning fast — the dining room isn’t huge, so that helps. But no sooner do you order your food than you find it’s already coming to you. These folks know their clientele is on a tight deadline to get back to work, and they react accordingly. As for the prices, they’re reasonable considering the quantity and variety of great foods you’ll be trying on this menu.
The food comes in a flash, and the prices won’t leave you wanting, and even if you’re unfamiliar with a lot of the things you try, it’s hard to imagine leaving here with a disappointing first impression of them. For all that it offers, Song’s really is the kind of place that works so well because not enough people know how great it truly is. Add this spot to the list of must-try Dayton food.
- The sushi is a good place to start if you are looking for something fancy. If you’re more inclined to a big meal, go with the box lunches.
- Food comes fast! This is a good place if you’re in a rush.
- Embrace some of the interesting Korean dishes that are otherwise hard to find here.