I10259 Penny Ln.
Miamisburg, OH 45342
websiteAn Ohio-centered concept with half a dozen locations, Bar 145 tends to find its way into larger new developments, where its entertaining take on the traditional pub makes it a place that supports a few different activities. The location in Kent, for example, has space for a dance floor and hosts regular DJ nights to support that. The location in Dayton, on the other hand, has taken the form mainly as a ‘barcade,’ where classic arcade games can be played for free. But don’t forget the food. Where the bar has focused its energy on building a good menu in recent years, it has brought some great ideas to the table.
The menu is smaller, relatively speaking, but everything on the menu is strong. Some of the things I tried:
- Pork belly burger: This burger is topped with soft, juicy pork belly and hay stack onion rings, and the meaty, crunchy end result is very filling. Get this one with some of those great fries. The portion isn’t too huge so it’s still all about the thick burger.
- Deviled eggs: A lighter appetizer, the eggs have a nice savory flavor, with the yolk mixed with some spices and a bit of salt. Simple. Great.
- Salmon & Avocado BLT: As BLTs go, this one is huge and stuffed until it’s oh-so-filling. Maybe ask for the sauce on the side? There’s a ton of it.
- Panini: Stuffed with a grilled chicken patty and then pressed until the bread is a bit toasty. Great for a lighter meal.
- Warm baked pretzel bites: The pretzels are served with a thin cheese sauce sort of like fondue. Best when shared with a few people, it will make a big appetite go away.
- Hay Stack Onion Rings: These thin-cut crispy onions make for a good topper on most sandwiches, but by themselves they go great with a horseradish sauce that adds a little bit of kick.
- Fried cheese curds: These apps are a little oily, but they’re not bad as a group favorite. The curds are still sturdy and tasty.
- Siracha fries: Now these are worth a special mention. Yes, they do have that slight spice to them, but not too much. More of a warm heat.
The bar has a fun atmosphere — addicting even. This is the kind of place where you want to bring a group of friends — and plan to stick around. There are lots of one- and two-player games, so there’s definitely a nostalgia factor for the twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings to come on the nights when a DJ isn’t in the house. And bring any non-video game-appreciating significant others or parents with them. So there are plenty of reasons to like the place.
Bar 145 has changed a lot in the past few years, and the new locations are a unique experience. When you come to one of these bars, plan to spend a little time getting lost. And plan to have fun.
- Come to the barcade, and you’ll want to stay. This is a place where you’ll want to plan to spend some time.
- Keep in mind the weekend nights bring a different feel to the bar as the rest of the year. More like a college place.
- Give the mixed drink menu a try, too. You’ll find those aren’t bad.