Smok’n Jojo’s BBQ
27 S. Meadow Dr.
Trotwood, OH 45416
A food truck based out of the Dayton suburb of Trotwood, this one is a simple and very lovable mission: good old fashioned barbecue! With a smoker based out of the back of the bright red truck, it can often be found in downtown Dayton’s Courthouse Square for lunch. There, it brings a small but quality menu of barbecue dishes and comforting side dishes. This one looks simple from the outside, but that food on the inside is definitely worth noticing.
The menu has about half a dozen things on it at any one time, most a mix of tasty, smokey barbecued beef and pork, as well as a few great sides. Some of the things I like:
- Barbecue burger: It’s served up with all the toppings of a regular burger including cheese, but the burger is smokey, a little sweet, and juicy all around. Much recommended with fries or, better yet, some of that great cole slaw.
- Pulled pork sandwich: A heaping pile of pulled pork topping in sandwich form. The pork is soft, it’s smokey, and most importantly it just melts in your mouth. The place is absolutely awesome for that. The barbecue sauce is kind of forgettable sweet stuff. I kind of wish they would make their own! It would be awesome just like the meat is.
- Mac and cheese: Any good barbecue is made all the better with a homey side dish like mac and cheese. This stuff is no exception! It’s kept warm by being stored in the smoker once it’s complete, which gives it a soft texture and a wonderfully smokey aftertaste.
The truck has a Trotwood home base, but it can be found most frequently at Courthouse Square in downtown Dayton, serving to people during the lunch hours. As far as catching the place, that’s your best bet, because Jojo’s only has a Facebook page for an online presence, and that page is not frequently updated. Otherwise it generally can be found at food truck gatherings and other kinds of events in the Dayton and southwest Ohio area. But if you want to track them down and bring them to your event, that Facebook page is a good place to start.
All in all, a pretty good place. While it’s a simpler operation, and one that you’re more likely to happen on than anything else, it’s still a good experience.
- Courthouse Square in downtown Dayton during lunch is the best place to find this truck, it doesn’t regularly update its site.
- Facebook has contact information if you want to reserve the truck.
- The barbecue is the best, there’s nothing to replace it!