233 Xenia Ave.
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
websiteYellow Springs, Ohio has the benefit of a few really nice coffee shops in town. The notoriously eccentric little village supports them, too; each brings a little bit of a different experience to the table, with the Underdog Cafe and Emporium Wines being host not only to a wine and bottle shop on one end, but also being host to a series of pleasant local artists on a regular basis. Bring a book and grab a mug, because this is the shop you’re really going to want to linger in for awhile.
The main attraction at this coffee shop is its big menu of coffee drinks of different kinds, but it’s also got a menu of sandwiches and quick, easy-to-grab items that can be indulged for lunch or a snack if you’re really hungry. The sandwiches are cold but come with a few different good options for vegetarians and appetites of all sizes.
- Coffee: This is a pretty laid back coffee shop, so you just buy a cup by the size and pick out what kinds of coffee you like to drink plain. There are a few options, with the house blend featuring well-roasted beans with a slightly overdone taste. I recommend the Brazillian mix if it is avaliable, that one has a bit of a natural sweetness to it.
- Latte: The latte here is simple but delightful, featuring a lot of nice cream and not too much suger inside to keep it a relatively light drink. Very pleasant.
- Hummus sandwich: I tried this sandwich, stuffed with plenty of sturdy hummus, and made for a lunch by itself. Very tasty.
One time is as good as another to visit this shop; whether you’re there for a weekday lunch or on the weekend, you’ll find the shop is about at the same speed; often with live music and plenty of people around looking to read a book, grab a cup of coffee, and talk. It’s a very relaxed atmosphere, made all the more interesting by the wine and liquor store attached to it.
This shop adds a lot of adventure to Yellow Springs, and it’s well worth a trip. Definitely recommend trying it out! Come on a week when you’re thinking about staying around the shop for awhile, you’ll like what you find.
- Like local music? There is a list of artists who are playing here on the website.
- The menu has a lot of good cold sandwiches but there are hot foods and breakfasts too. Just have to ask.
- Grab a blend of house coffee to start off, you get the choice of a few different blends to try.