143 N. Main St.
Dayton, OH 45402
A new downtown Dayton spot that is built for convenience, Marilyn’s Grill does a quick menu of sandwiches that are easy to go. Re-purposed from an old chain restaurant, this is one of few restaurants that is open a bit later than many of the other places downtown, and set amidst the big downtown offices and bringing in people of all kinds, but I’m not convinced about the place. A little bit of the food, a little bit of the decor.
The menu is pretty short day-to-day, and sandwiches to go are at the top. Some of the things I tried:
- Burger: Stuffed with veggies and topped with plenty of cheese, these burgers are greasy and filling, served up with fries. Nice, but the meat itself tastes like it’s frozen, and that’s never fun.
- Philly cheese steak: A heavy hoagie loaded with chopped steak, peppers, onions and cheeses to your heart’s content. Heavy on the cheese, but I wish there was more meat to the sandwich, which otherwise seems a little
- Cole slaw: Worth mentioning that this slaw is pretty good, and in fact it tastes homemade. But it’s expensive. The amount pictured a $2 up-charge.
The food isn’t bad in the sense that it’s convenient, made to-go and relatively inexpensive. But it’s also in a spot downtown where it is immediately surrounded by places—some chains, some local—that offer carry out of their own for comparable prices and, in some cases, less expensive. Also on mind is the need for some kind of decor update. The re-purposed location is definitely a clear re-use, with some of the mounts and things from the former business still showing. At least the spot could use a coat of paint, but it would be preferable to see the inside get something new.
This corner of downtown could use a good restaurant that will bring people back, and the Marilyn’s Grill concept does bring some traffic, which is nice to see. It’s in a part of town where lots of established local names are standing out though, so it faces a challenge with that. The food, though, was satisfying.
- The food is easy to-go, and that’s a convenient choice when there aren’t a ton of places that offer that in the immediate vicinity.
- The menu features some specials that are available at a discount, you have to check back day-to-day to see what might be offered that day.
- Some of the sides are good, other of the sides are a bit expensive.