2222 S. Limestone St.
Springfield, OH 45505
A home-grown barbecue joint serving Springfield, Ohio, Rudy’s Smokehouse barbecues just about anything you like. Set up as a walk up spot where you pick up barbecue at a counter and take it to-go or enjoy it on a bench in the dining area. The spot generally does its barbecue “Low and slow,” which is to say it’s all made in Hickory pit smokers. The result is a great and very tasty barbecue that definitely has acquired a local following.
This spot specializes in hickory smoked meats, and offers a North Carolina-style vinegar-based sauce that is a little spicy. And it goes well and just about all of the meet. Some of the things that I’ve tried:
- Smoked burger: A quarter-pound patty smoked up and served simply between a bun with nothing extra but barbecue sauce. The patty is frozen but it’s still good with the vinegar-based sauce.
- Pulled pork: This pork is fall-apart soft and served with a little of that thick sauce to make it a bit more tangy. I recommend trying this one with a few sides, I had it with green beans that were fall-apart soft and a sturdy potato salad.
- Cole slaw: The slaw is creamy and finely chopped. Probably the best thing is to put it in a sandwich. It’s tasty.
The spot is very comfortable; just a walk-up shop where you pick up your ‘que from the counter and enjoy it wherever you want. It seems to be especially popular with the lunch and dinner crowd, owing to the Rudy’s location on South Limestone being very close to Interstate 70. But the crowd is very local. There are a few other ways to enjoy it too; you can get it catered which is a relatively big part of the business and you can also subscribe to a rewards card for frequent customers. Either way, it’s a convenient trip. It’s cheap, too.
It’s a surprising thing about Springfield, how much this place is filled with low-key restaurants that deliver on simple tastes and delights. This spot brings something great to the neighborhood and it’s a pleasant local draw.
- The spot has a lot of hassle-free ways to get barbecue; the restaurant is a walk-up counter built for take-out, and it also caters.
- There are lunch specials and also a rewards-type card system if you look to frequent the place.
- The sandwiches are a good place to start.