- New York Strip: The NY Strip is a quality cut of meat, I enjoyed this one well-done, because it’s got a bit of a crunch on the inside, which is nice. Only comes in one size, while others can be smaller.
- Sirloin Steak: This steak is a more basic variety, and it was better in the medium-rare category, but make sure the steak is cooked to your liking when you get it. One other thing to consider: it comes virtually free of any salt or pepper. Definitely needed. That said, you can get this one in half the size for less.
- Chop House Steakburger: An 8-ounce burger char-grilled to order with the addition of cheese and thick-cut bacon if you pick. What works so well here is the smokiness of the burger on the outside, but the meat is still juicy to the bite.
- Shrimp Bisque: This bisque is buttery and made with mini-shrimp. I didn’t like this one, for one chief reason: the shrimp are crunchy. The texture is totally wrong; you get none of the flavor, and that happens when the shrimp have been frozen. Not good.
The clientele of the restaurant is older, this spot tends to be more of a conservative menu with sizable portions for about mid-market price. It falls further in the casual dining setting, and I would say that it’s best thought of as a safe place to bring someone for a menu that is very predictable. But at the same time, some of those flavors can come back a little bland, and some are entirely generic to a fault. Add to this the prices, some of which are above-average, and you get an experience that just doesn’t work.
The idea here is to be comfortable, and it’s a little too much so. The food is forgettable. I liked some of the things I tried more than others, but all told it just didn’t stand out enough for me to want to make it a regular destination.
- The burger is good, though I found the steaks were lacking in salt and any kind of seasoning.
- Don’t go for the shrimp bisque.
- This place is best to be tried when you are going to eat with someone with either very conservative tastes or looking for kind of a generic experience.