The menu here can change frequently, but at the same time it has kept some classic elements, and that definite focus on quality. Among my favorite things:
- Asiago Crusted Chicken: The salty Asiago cheese gives this chicken a very distinct and stronger flavor. The lightly fried chicken is served over a bed of linguine. Still filling.
- Grilled North Atlantic Swordfish: Swordfish is a delicate thing to pick, the dish balances the strong swordfish flavor with pecans, Brussels sprouts and bacon. The textures and flavors are individually unique but come together tastefully.
- Pesto Cream Linguine: It’s the pine nuts, tomatoes and spinach that make this pasta very tasty. A good vegetarian option.
- Parmesan Fries: These fries are served up as an appetizer, crusted with Parmesan cheese and a great ketchup and garlic crema. Great start to a meal, or side.
- Fresca Ripeno: A frozen fruit served up with an Italian sorbet that complements it. I tried the peach, delicious, especially as the fruit softens and comes with the sorbet.
- Bread Pudding: This pudding is heavy on the bread and a bit crispy on the outside, still topped with a cream for good taste.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is what makes it really fly; it’s an island of calm in the otherwise high-energy Oregon District, with the pleasant bar and intimate tables making for a very quality dining experiences. All told, well worth a visit for a special occasion. The fine dining here is well worth the experience. That said, you will want to get reservations; the restaurant is a small space and walk-ins are allowed, though it’s unusual for you to find them able to accommodate.
That said, Downs’ reputation as a master restaurateur is well-deserved. Roost is one of the true gems in the city. This is well worth a stop.
- Reservations are definitely recommended, the small footprint of this restaurant means it’s unlikely to be able to accommodate too many walk-ins.
- The cocktail menu is incredibly well-defined, and that’s going to be something you’ll want to explore.
- The menu can change, but overall it’s a place you’ll want to visit with a date or a group of friends. Fine dining experience.