726 E Main St.
Lexington, KY 40502
A Kentucky focused bakery with classic goodies of all kinds, Magees of Lexington exists for one reason: to satisfy your sweet tooth. This bakery offers the classic favorite cakes, cookies, desserts and more in a very peaceful seating. Boasting its family ownership that has keeps the bakery running for over 50 years, this spot off East Main Street doesn’t make a lot of noise outside of the city. But the goodies to be tried here are worth a sampling. Altogether, a pleasant experience.
Atypical of many smaller-town bakeries, Magees is also something of a deli; offering sandwiches and a low key atmosphere where it hopes to attract locals to spend a little bit of time enjoying the atmosphere and getting some work done or having a conversation with a friend. But the goodies are packed to go, and people love to take them home:
- Sugar cookies: Assertively sweet and with a distinct strong almond flavor, the sugar cookies are topped with a bit of icing and then a ton of confectioner’s sugar so they’ve got a crunch — both with sugar and with the crumbly cookie itself. Though a bit on the drier end, still best when served fresh.
- Cupcakes: The cakes themselves are pretty light, with a fluffy, spongy cake with a simple flavor, like vanilla. But what hits the spot are the icings that top them; this frosting is sweet-on-sweet, a heavy, sugary flavor and aftertaste. There isn’t too much or too little icing either – so you can enjoy one without feeling overwhelmed.
As the spot continues to be popular with locals, it’s got a relaxed, coffee shop-like atmosphere that encourages you to stick around. On the same token, those cookies, cupcakes and “famous cakes” can also be boxed to go, ensuring you get a few chances to try the goodies in store or at home. But all in all, the place makes a good dessert dish, and it’s well-suited to try for a local taste of Lexington.
- The bakery has a deli menu and wi-fi making it a nice place to go and relax. Conversely, it also has boxed goodies to go.
- The cookies especially don’t have as long a shelf life, so I would suggest planning to eat them quickly.
- Price points are good for these treats too, so they’re great to share with large groups, parties, or other occasions.