1277 Grandview Ave.
Columbus, OH 43212
websiteA neighborhood coffee and tea shop with a few locations around Columbus, Stauf’s Coffee Roasters is a bistro with a specialty in roasting its own coffee and making its own tea. While that by itself is a rare thing indeed, the best part about this little coffee shop is by far the atmosphere at each location; it’s really a place that feels like a comfortable and friendly environment, even in the bustle of a city. The drinks here are made to be appreciated, as is the atmosphere.
The drinks are a mixture of coffee drinks of all kinds as well as a decent tea selection that regularly changes. Among my favorites:
- Oregon Chai Latte: The chai is on the sweeter side, as they come, but that chai spice is still very apparent. I like this one for its frothy body, almost too light to believe it’s a coffee drink! Very relaxing hot drink to enjoy.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Tea: This is a green tea mix that makes for a very delicious afternoon tea. Low on caffeine and with a natural balance between the flavors, neither overwhelming the other.
- Blood Orange Tea: The blood orange is a stronger tea than most of the tisane, or herbal teas you can find. The aroma on this one is noticeably tart and it’s got a strong, bright orange taste to it. Doesn’t need anything to go along with the flavor, and is a perfect tea for the fall.
The shop is very welcoming, which is what makes it such a nice place to visit. There is ample seating for groups of people to enjoy one another, and just as much space if you feel like being alone with a book. This close to a big city that kind of peaceful environment can be hard to find, especially with a lot of people coming and going from the place.
On the other hand, there’s also a nice bistro space where you can enjoy soups, salads and sandwiches. What makes the shop so interesting is how it has found its way to very trendy parts of town, where there are a lot of more high-end concepts and brand new restaurants opening up, this one occupies those same hip places and yet feels much more low-key. All told, though, it’s a really fun concept and well worth a trip, especially if you want to spend a little time away.
- If you come for lunch, the place is pretty packed, but come for a cup of coffee in the middle of the afternoon and it’s a bit more peaceful.
- A “Coffee by the Month” program is set up to give you a good sampling of the international coffees available at this shop. Each month you get to try something new.
- The spot roasts its own coffee and has hand-made tea, both of which appeal to hardcore drink lovers out there. Bring tea fans to this place.