3500 Rigby Rd.
Miamisburg, OH 45342
It’s a furiously growing concept out of Charlotte, and as soon as you step foot into Firebirds Wood Fired Grill, the smell of smoked hickory fills your nose. This concept is a sleek and modern take on the mid-priced steakhouse restaurant, with plenty of comfort food favorites on tap for diners. Like many in this category, you tend to find only one or two locations to a city, but what it offers in quality and experience is above the bar. Firebirds has a great, well-rounded menu of steaks and sandwiches, and its presence seems to complement upscale shopping centers very well.
Steaks dominate the menu, with just about any kind of cut you like represented. Some of my favorites:
- Smokehouse Burger: This burger is topped with a “Java BBQ sauce” along with smoked bacon, a nice bacon, cheddar cheese and red onions. The barbecue has an interesting bit of heat to it, which is nice. The burger itself is nice and juicy, a little bit greasy but still fantastic.
- Sirloin Steak: A relatively modest price on this cut of beef, the Sirloin is served to order, and done with very exact skill. It’s served in 7-ounce and 12-ounce varieties, with either cut a bit of gristle trimming but the steak overall very simply presented. Could use some salt or pepper on the top, though it’s juicy which is good.
- Aged ribeye: One of the highest-quality dishes on the menu here, the ribeye is cooked perfectly to order, and it’s got the added bonus of a peppery, almost crunchy crust.
- Pineapple chicken: A grilled chicken topped with a light pico featuring pineapple. This one is a ligher healthier option, though the green beans are a little heavy on brown sugar.
- Mahi mahi tacos: These mini tacos are topped with cabbage, avocado, pico de gallo and a sriracha sour cream. The veggies complement the mild fish well.
- Cole slaw: An interesting side piece, the ‘cider slaw’ is an acidic slaw with a little bit of apple flavor, and the interesting addition of fried tortilla strips that give it a little character that is unique. Great stuff.
The atmosphere of the place is great; it’s set up like a well-oiled machine, with a large front bar area for drinks and socializing, while the restaurant in the back focuses more on full service. Lots of staff on hand, with someone around to refill water, managers to oversee any issues and overall the heavy staffing makes it a pretty smooth experience. Food doesn’t take that long to come out either, which is also a nod to an efficiently trained staff. The prices are good too, this is definitely a mid-range steak house concept; you sit down, stay awhile and enjoy some food. It’s got some promise.
All in all, it’s a pretty tightly run and interesting concept, so I can see how it has grown so quickly. I do hope to see it continue to grow.
- The steaks are a definite first thing to get, the price points on them are pretty reasonable.
- The spot does have a pretty good menu of wines, beers and mixed drinks. The concept displays a wide variety of liquors but it does, in fact have a good selection.
- The burgers are also good to try.