Chappy’s Taproom, one of the more popular suburban bars in south Dayton, is a place to go for a great sense of variety. Not only does the spot sport dozens of kinds of beers on tap and plenty of bottles, but the spot has a wide variety of items on its menu worth trying too. Barbecue, fried chicken, burgers and pub food; you name it, Chappy’s has got it, and does it in a really great way.
So the biggest thing to know is that fried chicken is what people love. It takes 20 minutes or so to make, so keep that in mind. But at the same time, it’s known for being worth the wait. Among the other items on the menu that I have tried and loved, Chappy’s has a lot of great stuff. Here are some of my favorites:
- Charcoal Grilled Burger: A half-pound burger with all the fixings and veggies to top it off, and topped with American cheese. There are a few other options to top the burger. I tried the barbecue sauce and bacon to make it a good barbecue burger. It’s a good burger.
- Bourbon glazed salmon: This was one of the specials a night that I visited. The salmon is grilled until it’s fall-apart flaky and it’s got a little bit of bourbon glaze, it’s nice and sweet. The char on the salmon is fantastic. Just adds a little bit of character.
- Po Boy: The po boy is different from so many other kinds of sandwich in that it’s got a great french bread. The crust of the bread is fantastic, a little crisp but overall very soft and fresh. There are several options, including blackened chicken, which is my favorite with a great char on it, as well as fried shrimp and a few other things. I loved it.
- BBQ Chicken: Roasted chicken so good it barely even needs barbecue sauce. There’s a little bit of smokiness to the chicken, and it’s absolutely perfect that way.
- Wings: These wings are extra-jumbo-large, and that original wing sauce has an assertive heat to it. Recommend getting some water, or maybe getting them to share!
- Fried Chicken: This chicken takes 20 minutes or so to made – it’s cooked to order every time – but the spices in that batter make it well worth the wait!
The bar has a nice interior; spacious with a taproom in one area, and a large interior dining area that seems to cater more to families. Then of course there is an outdoor patio where people can congregate. The service is consistently great, the people that run the spot are exceptional, and all in all it’s a great experience. Who says the best bars are in the trendy districts? This one is a suburban experience.
- The fried chicken is one of the most popular items on the menu, but you’ll need to wait on it, maybe 20 minutes or so. But it’s well known for being worth the wait.
- The barbecue is the next best thing on the menu, and also worth a taste, the sauce is what really makes it work.
- The indoor taproom is huge, definitely worth a try. If it’s nice out, the patio is also a good choice.