It’s a small sports bar concept that opened last year on Wilmington Pike in the Dayton neighborhood of Kettering, and Sidelines occupies a space that has seen some concepts come and go, most recently a Starlite Diner. The spacious restaurant has been reworked with a concept for more of a family setting, with a bar, lots of TVs for sports, some space for musicians to perform, and more. It’s a concept that has a few draws to attract the locals, but I would consider it to be more of a dive than a spot worth a special visit.
Sidelines’ menu is a pretty diverse, as is its clientele. The spot has some feeling of a family bar, but then it seems like it’s something of a biker bar at times, too. It’s got live music some nights from small local acts which add a lot to the scene, and then it happens to have a vibrant sports push too. Really, some of everything.
Here’s some of the food I tried:
- Fish and chips: The fish is a set of massive cod fillets and some crispy fries. I like the cod because it’s flaky and delicious on the inside, and on the outside it’s very crispy. The fries are decent, I don’t mind something a little less greasy because the fries are cut very thin. That said, they’re also great with a little bit of pepper.
- Wings: The wings here are one of the star dishes on the show. The wings that are bone-in are extra large and extra crispy. There are a small number of sauces and the wings are dipped in a heavy dose of them to top things off. The big thing about the wings is that I like the sauce is plentiful but the wings are still crispy.
The atmosphere is interesting. As I mentioned, it’s sort of a catch-all bar, a place where anyone should be welcome. It sort of accomplishes all of that in a generic way. I found the bar to be hit-and-miss in terms of which food was good and which wasn’t but at the same time, the bar food that you try here won’t be that bad. All in all, I could call it a safe experience. No unpleasant surprises.
- The bar is a family sort of concept which fits in nicely with the rest of Kettering and the surrounding neighborhood. That said though you will be able to enjoy some music here, or some sports, depending on what you prefer.
- The wings here are what the bar is really proud of.
- The fish in the fish and chips is decent, too.