Cincinnati, OH 45209 Cincinnati, OH 45236 Dayton, OH 45409 513.731.7755 513.791.1616 937.223.0000
———————— Cincinnati chain of about 20 pizza places, Dewey’s Pizza is much beloved locally as a “neighborhood pizza place” where folks go to hang out and enjoy some pizza. With a presence in most major Ohio cities as well as the St. Louis area, Dewey’s has a neat concept. The original Oakley shop lets you watch chefs throw dough into the air, then slowly transform the flat pie into a delicious confection. Pick one of the favorite combinations or pick your own toppings, but either way you’ll find something that you like.
Dewey’s pizza doesn’t fall into one of the major “styles” of pizza; it’s just about in the middle, actually. The crust is about half an inch thick without rising at the ends, and every part of it is extremely flaky and crisp. The best way to describe the sauce, “it’s sweet but it’s not.” Avoiding the fruit-base or a heavy pasty texture, the sauce instead brings a little bit of savory edge. Otherwise, it’s unseasoned. Of course the toppings make up much of the flavor, but the base for the pie is extremely good.
Some of the good classic pies:
- Hawiian: This one’s simple, topped with Canadian Bacon and Pineapple. You’ll be surprised at how the salty, smoky bacon offsets the slight sweetness of the pineapple.
- Bronx Bomber: The catchall flavor, this one has pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and olives. I’m not personally a fan of the olives on it, and I also don’t like the mushrooms they use, but otherwise this pie is a great first experience.
- The Don Corleone: One of Dewey’s seasonal pies. This one I haven’t tried, but I hear it’s fantastic. “Red Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese, Pepperoni, Salami, Capacola Ham and Oregano.”
- Build your own pie: With such interesting ingredients as black bean salsa, anchovies, goat cheese and artichokes, you’re sure to find a combination people like. I usually go this route, and I am surprised at how often I find something I like. The pictured pie is topped with ricotta cheese, pepperoni and sausage…and it’s amazing.
- Peppercorn ranch salad: Bacon, pepper and ranch go well on just about anything. Another reminder that Dewey’s salads are about the best salads out there.
The concept is really neat, just a few televisions and there are microbrews, but not a million of them. Just enough to pair with the pies. This is the kind of place where you go focus on enjoying quality food in a classy setting. Especially in Cincinnati, its home town, Dewey’s is a favorite, and definitely a must if you’re visiting the Queen City.
- Dewey’s will let you build a pizza half one way and half another. Good for indecisive couples.
- Give a try to the seasonal pizza menu if you can, they tend to be among the most popular, and of course temporary.
- Lots of microbrews on the menu.