It’s a highly visible pizza shop just south of downtown Dayton, and Pizza Factory has cornered one great niche dead-to-rights: really, really good pizza. Its pies are over the top, packed with ingredients,double or triple what you find on the average pizza. The factory is a true dive; I never actually heard of the place until my boss insisted we bring some in to work. And from there, it was all over. The place has a true cult following, but does the flavor match the hype? Yes. Very much so.
Everyone who tries Pizza Factory…tries the pizza. It’s the first thing you should try when you come to this restaurant. Here are a few of the better pies.
- Fresh Veggie: onions, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives and banana peppers on a pie with mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan cheese. This is the classic everything pizza, though I’m one of the many who hate olives, I did like the even mix of ingredients. I’ve ordered this one a few times.
- Deluxe Pizza: This one is generous on mushrooms, green peppers, onions, sausage and pepperoni. The mushrooms are the strongest flavor, though a little of that sausage shines through too.
- Ultimate Pepperoni: this pie totes “three layers of pepperoni” with mozzarella and provolone cheese. It’s a nice mix; not a mountain of pepperoni but nonetheless far above average. Prepare to have some spicy red meat in each bite.
- Ultimate sausage: Italian sausage, “smoked sausage,” along with mozzarella, provolone and cheddar cheese. This one is my personal favorite, the mix is just right. It’s got some warm heat to it, but not too much. Sort of the right mix, a savory meat and some kick to it. I highly suggest it as your first Pizza Factory meal.
- If you absolutely must go the non-pizza route, there are sandwiches, calzones and other items on the menu, though I have not tried them.
I’m an apologist for good flavor. If you can make something tasty, original, and unique in your market, you have a winning combination. Pizza factory, I believe, does something unique for Dayton. It’s a unique pizza shop with the kind of intense, flavor packed pies only independent shops serve. It’s the kind of place you don’t even have to visit to believe in, just try. Pizza Factory deserves its intense niche following. Get a pizza from this spot as soon as you can.
- It sort of goes without saying, but the pizza here is the best. No seriously, you need to make it your first experience with this restaurant.
- Also, you ought to take a look at the catering and delivery options. Pizza factory is more convenient than you may imagine.
- Parking is something of an issue, though. Street parking is the best option.