As one of the flagship businesses of The Greene shopping center in east Dayton, The Pub is an attractive take on the English pub concept. The upscale restaurant sports a massive bar stocked to the gills with a varieties of beers, malt liquors, cocktails, and an abundance of English foods and dishes cooked and meant to be eaten with a good drink. There are a lot of great businesses in this area, and to be sure there is still competition in the bar scene, but The Pub may well be my favorite. It’s the kind of place where time and again, it will never fail to impress you.
The food is about an even mixture of bar food with an upscale twist and English classics. Every dish will be familiar to the American palette, but all of them are done with exceptional ingredients.
- Beer cheese: The beer cheese is deliciously served alongside a salty pretzel and veggies. Cucumber and cheese? Believe it or not they go together very well. But the real masterpieces of Pub cuisine are well-marked.
- Young’s BBQ Burger: The real masterpiece of the burgers is the Young’s BBQ Burger, topped with cheddar , bacon, onions sauteed with Guinness and a barbecue sauce made from Young’s Double Chocolate Stout. The salty bacon, mixed with the thick beer sauce and Guinness onions; a one-two-three knockout punch for the right kind of burger.
- Southwest Turkey Panini: If you like sandwiches, try the southwest turkey panini, which features roasted turkey breast, pepper jack cheese, bacon, avocado and pico de gallo on wheat bread. Just a little bit of a kick accentuated by a little bit of crunch.
- Steak Fries: Even the sides are great; the steak fries are ample and the sweet potato fries are crisp.
- Fried Pickles: The fried pickles are good too, they’re a little salty and very crunchy, the frying job is perfect.
- Spinach and artichoke dip: So heavy with cheese that it adds a definite creaminess to the artichoke. Served with soft, warm and very pleasant pita.
- Sliders: Three little burger patties topped with a wonderful caramelized onion to add a little saltiness. Nice to share.
- Pulled pork tacos: These tacos are loaded with pulled pork in a sweet barbecue sauce and a light slaw. Add chips and a light corn salsa on the side. It’s got to be one of the best taco options here.
More exciting, though, is the spirits menu; yeah there is wine and beer like many other bars, but this one has a unique menu of single malt scotches, gin, cognac, small-batch bourbons and mixed drinks. One of the best drinks is the Grapefruit & Basil, a martini made from vodka, grapefruit juice and fresh basil. Simple but elegant.
There’s a ton of good places to try in The Greene, and The Pub has a ton to offer. It’s a cool concept with a great menu, and whether you appreciate the refinement of a good scotch, or just like a classy bar to try, or you really like English food, I think you’ll have fun here. There’s a good reason to expect a wait when coming here on a Friday night. This bar is one of Dayton’s best.
- The spirits menu is outstanding; any seasoned liquor fanatic will truly love that menu.
- Try the burgers, particularly the the Young’s BBQ Burger, it’s really bar food done right.
- This is a very popular place. If you’re going for dinner or on a weekend, expect a wait.